Addison Gilbert Hospital Log

It's a Nurse

Dr. Neil Nason Mann, July 18, 1986–September 5, 2019

Gloucester, MA - Dr. Neil Mann passed away peacefully with family at Beverly Hospital early Thursday evening at the age of 83. He was born in Boston to parents Leon and Francis Mann. Neil attended Boston Latin School, and graduated from Newton High School in 1954. He went on to graduate from Columbia College in 1958, where he played football and baseball, and then graduated University of Vermont Medical School in 1963.

After completing his residency at SUNY in upstate New York, he was a doctor and captain in the US Army from 1966 to 1968 in San Antonio, and Glen Burnie. In 1968 and 1969, he was the Chief Medical Resident at Addison Gilbert Hospital. Also in 1969, he became a founding partner of the Cape Ann Medical Center, where he worked until 2005.

Dr. Mann was a self-taught toxicology expert for all of Cape Ann. He was also instrumental in bringing the Veteran's Clinic to Gloucester. Neil served on several committees at Addison Gilbert, where he was also the Chief of Medicine. He was the Chairman of the Ethics Committee. Later in his career, he shifted his focus to geriatric care, working at the senior adult unit at AGH, the Center for Healthy Aging in Danvers, as well as with Seacoast Rehabilitation Center. Overall His career with the Lahey group spanned over 50 years.

Neil loved Gloucester, and was always an active member of the community. He was revered as a loving physician, always showing great concern and compassion for everyone he met. Neil had a wonderful sense of humor, helping to bring light to any situation. He was an avid golfer, and with his special friends Tony Bertolino, Bob Ryan and others, founded the "Buddy Cup" tournament. Neil was also a Massachusetts Free Mason and a member of the American Legion.

Dr. Mann is survived by his wife Debra Burke Mann, son and daughter-in-law Richard Mann and Melanie Harrison of Beverly, his daughter Debra Mann of Gloucester, his son Scott and daughter-in-law Sara Mann of Falmouth, Maine, daughter Leah Mann of Gloucester, and stepson Dustin Joseph of Port St. Lucie, Fla. He is also survived by his beloved grandchildren Harrison Mann, Krystle Arnold and spouse Robert Arnold, Alex Randazzo, Davis, Harper, and Elliott Mann, his great grandchildren Cameron and Charlee Arnold. In addition, he is survived by brother Benjamin Mann of Dade City, Fla., sister Brenda and brother-in-law Seymour Levy of Medfield, and brother Stephen Mann of Palm Harbor, Fla. along with aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and many cousins throughout the country.

Funeral services will be held on September 10, 2019 at 11 a.m. at Stanetsky Funeral Home, 1668 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA, followed by his burial at Sharon Memorial Park, Sharon, MA. In lieu of flowers, please send donations in memory of Dr. Neil Mann to the Addison Gilbert Hospital Citizens Fund -, or PO Box 1495, Gloucester, MA., 01930

Catherine A. (Boudreau) Tarr, May 25, 1952–November 1, 2019

GLOUCESTER, MA - TARR, Catherine A. (Boudreau) Of Gloucester, Massachusetts, wife of Brent "Ringo" Tarr, passed away peacefully late Friday, November 1st, at Addison Gilbert Hospital. Cathy was born to the late Joseph Lawrence and Catherine (Brady) Boudreau on May 25, 1952, in Chelsea, Massachusetts. She grew up in West Roxbury with her 5 siblings; Larry, Ann Marie, Joseph, John, and Theresa. She was the oldest of the 6 children and was always looking after her younger siblings, having their back and trying to keep them out of trouble.

Cathy began her career at Decelle's department store, where she worked her way up from cashier to bookkeeper. She then went on to work as the office manager at Great Eastern Marine Services for many years. After meeting Brent, Cathy moved from Boston to Gloucester, and in 1979, they married and started their life there together. They were blessed with two daughters, Elizabeth in 1983 and Emily in 1989. Cathy spent many years working late at night to be able to spend the day with her daughters, often volunteering for their school, driving them to sports games, and bringing them to the family farm. After spending over 30 years working as a bookkeeper, Cathy started to take on the role of caretaker to family members. Cathy spent many days caring for her mother Kay and her mother-in-law Chris, spending time driving them to appointments and caring for them at home. When Cathy's sister Theresa fell ill, she would drive back and forth to Boston, helping her family advocate for Theresa's care. Cathy also took on the role of caretaker when her brother-in-law Brian was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. She also provided support and care to aunt Dorothy Taliadoros. Cathy was an avid bowler in her younger years and loved playing trivia with friends. She would often travel with her good friend, Elaine Halligan, exploring new places around the country. Cathy had a knack for photography, often driving around in the early hours of the morning looking for the perfect spot to capture the moon, or in her own yard getting pictures of the wildlife surrounding her. Cathy loved music and dancing, and could often be found dancing on a chair at every wedding she attended.

Cathy is survived by her husband of 40 years, Ringo, her daughter Elizabeth Tarr-Leung and husband Mike Leung of New Jersey, and daughter Emily Tarr and her partner Jamie Oliver of Gloucester, and brother-in-law Bruce Tarr of Gloucester. She is also survived by her sister Ann Marie Cuggino of Dedham, brother Joseph Boudreau and wife Irene of West Roxbury, brother John Boudreau and wife Mary of Norwood, sister-in-law Patti Boudreau of Attleboro, and brother-in-law Barry O'Rourke of Wareham. Cathy is also survived by many nieces and nephews, who she loved watching grow up and seeing at family gatherings, as well as a large extended family.

In addition to her parents, Cathy was predeceased by her sister, Theresa O'Rourke, brother, Larry Boudreau, and brother-in-law, Robert Cuggino. She was also predeceased by her mother and father-in-law, Christine and Edward Tarr, and brother-in-law, Brian Tarr.

In keeping with her wishes, a Celebration of Cathy's Life will be held at The Gloucester House, 63 Rogers Street, Gloucester, on Friday, November 8th, at 11 am. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in her name to the Addison Gilbert Hospital Citizens Fund, P.O. Box 1495, Gloucester, MA 01930; Addison Gilbert Hospital, c/o Philanthropy, 298 Washington Street, Gloucester, MA 01930; and Gloucester Veterans Services, 9 Dale Ave, Gloucester, MA 01930. Arrangements are by the Greely Funeral Home, 212 Washington St., GLOUCESTER, MA.

Brian C. Tarr, March 31, 1951–November 18, 2018

Gloucester, MA - Brian C. Tarr of Gloucester, Massachusetts, passed away peacefully in the early morning of Sunday, November 18, at Seacoast Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.

Born to Edward and Christine (Taliadoros) Tarr on March 31, 1951 at Beverly Hospital, Brian was a member of a close and very active family centered around the farm on Essex Avenue that was established by his maternal grandparents when they emigrated from Greece in the early 1900's. There he lived with his parents and his brothers Brent “Ringo” and Bruce, and aunts, uncles and other relatives were always present. The large home was filled with warmth and nearly constant activity from family members, and friends visiting from near and far.

On weekends the farm was a gathering place for lamb roasts that drew members of the Greek community from throughout the North Shore and beyond. In the Christmas season it was filled with Christmas trees for sale, and Brian joined with the rest of the family in helping customers choose and purchase their perfect tree. Through all of these things he developed and enduring love for, and commitment to, his family and friends that would last for his entire life.

Brian attended the Gloucester Public Schools, and his youth was filled with a host of endeavors. He was a student at the Greek School operated by the Assumption of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church, an active participant in Scouting, and achieved leadership roles in the local chapter of Demolay. He also worked at the family business, Tally's, pumping gas and driving a tow truck from time to time. There he enjoyed meeting, talking to, and befriending customers from all over the city and beyond. They were drawn to his friendly and charismatic personality. Even in his younger years Brian's path to public service was becoming clear.

That path became even more focused during his high school years. Brian was a leader in student government, and was chosen to be Gloucester's Mayor on Student Government Day. He was involved in many political campaigns in roles ranging from putting up lawn signs to advising candidates. While he loved politics and campaigns, they were always secondary to helping others.

Brian studied at Bryant and Stratton College, and then went on to graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in General Business from Bentley College. He was planning a career in the business sector when a phone call from Fuller School Principal Al Swekla changed his life. Waiting for interviews with employers such as State Street Bank, at Swekla's request he agreed to serve as a substitute teacher at Fuller. Thus began 33 years of service to the students, parents, teachers, staff, and families of Gloucester. His love for education and helping students was intense and enduring. He became a full time teacher at Fuller school, then taught at O'Maley school and became a team leader, and ultimately the Assistant Superintendent of the Gloucester Public School System. For a while Brian also served as Principal of Veterans Memorial School, filling a vacancy and gladly performing both roles. Being Principal gave him the opportunity to be closer to the students, and he cherished that experience.

He also served for years as the district's Title 1 Director, making sure all of Gloucester's students got the services they deserved. Brian also coached the Gloucester High School Soccer team when that sport was emerging in school athletics, and he was in charge of the reconstruction of Gloucester High School. In the midst of serving the district he earned a Master's Degree in Education from Cambridge College. Yet the title or position never mattered; Brian was happiest and at his best when helping a student or a family. He was respected by colleagues and embraced by students. Stories abound about how his caring approach made a difference in the countless lives he touched, sometimes in groups and sometimes one at a time.

Beyond helping people through the school system, Brian also supported the families of the commercial fishing industry as the President of the Cape Ann Commercial Fishermen's Loan Fund, a very special revolving lending institution that made funds available for the purchase and improvement of fishing vessels and gear. When difficult times made it hard for fishermen to get the financial resources they needed, Brian was there with a dedicated board of directors to get the facts, understand the problem, and find a way to pay for a new engine, a new winch, or a new boat to keep the family fishing and help the industry survive. Often his compassion and advice were worth more than the money in a loan.

Although he had many professional obligations, Brian also found time for other things. He loved to play hockey, and was a long time member of the Bass Rocks Golf Club, where he played in many tennis and golf tournaments, carrying on the connection with the club first established by his father. In his years as a young adult Brian was a leader in Gloucester's Babe Ruth Baseball program. Throughout his life he was a very active member of St. John's Episcopal Church, where over the years he served on the vestry and in other leadership positions. He worked in a number of capacities to support Addison Gilbert Hospital, and was a Cape Ann Savings Bank Corporator for many years.

Although his time was generously given to others professionally and personally, Brian's commitment to his family was unwavering. He was always there to help Ringo with projects like decorating Kent Circle for Christmas, providing wise counsel and assistance to Bruce in his campaigns and service in the legislature, or supporting nieces Elizabeth and Emily in every possible way. His dedication to his mother was unyielding, even as he was in his own struggle with Alzheimer's disease. Brian's life was a testament to faith, love of family, and the power of a life centered around helping others. Caring people helped Brian over the course of his illness, led by his sister-in-law, Cathy. Denise Nicastro provided tremendous professional care, friends Barry McKay, Joe Aiello, Toni Konaxis, Bob and Debbie Ryan were consistently there to visit, take him out to eat, and remind him that he was a good friend and special person. Aunt Dottie Taliadoros and friends Joanne and Tony Marks were always there to help. All of their efforts and those of the professional staff at Seacoast Nursing and Rehabilitation Center are deeply appreciated.

Brian is survived by his brother, Brent "Ringo" Tarr and his wife Cathy (Boudreau) of Gloucester; his brother, Bruce Tarr of Gloucester; niece, Elizabeth (Tarr) Leung and her husband Mike of Millstone, New Jersey, niece Emily Tarr and partner Jamie Oliver of Gloucester; aunt Dorothy Taliadoros of Gloucester; uncle and aunt, Anthony and Arlene Taliadoros of Essex, and many Tarr and Taliadoros cousins. He was predeceased by his parents, Edward and Christine (Taliadoros) Tarr, and several aunts, uncles, and cousins, including Linda Burns, with whom he was particularly close.

There will be a Prayer Service for Brian on Tuesday, December 4, at 11 a.m. in St. Ann's Church, with visiting hours also at the church on Monday, December 3, from 4 to 8 p.m. Special parking will be available for the prayer service at the I4 C2 municipal parking lot on Rogers Street, with a trolley shuttle service to and from the church.

Donations in Brian's memory may be made to the Addison Gilbert Hospital Citizen's Fund, P.O. Box 1495, Gloucester, MA 01930, Cape Ann Animal Aid Association, 4 Paws Lane, Gloucester, MA 01930, St. John's Episcopal Church, 48 Middle Street, Gloucester, MA 01930 or to a charity of the donor's choice.

Arrangements by the Greely Funeral Home, 212 Washington Street, Gloucester.

September 19, 2015: The Harvest Moon Festival — a Benefit for Addison Gilbert Hospital Citizens Fund

November 28, 2013: Giving Thanks for Addison Gilbert

June 19, 2013: The Lighthouse

January 27, 2012: Faith in AGH and in the City's Fire Department (Letter to the Editor, Gloucester Daily Times)

Three weeks ago, I was rushed to Addison Gilbert Hospital with pneumonia complicated by my asthma.

The response by Fire Rescue's emergency medical technicians and paramedics was swift, competent and professional. I was prepped and on my way in minutes. Everyone knew their job and did it calmly and diligently.

There is an added feeling of well-being, and calming influence that comes from knowing virtually all the rescue teams, having gone to school with a few, and with the fathers of most of the rest. No price tag can be put on this feeling. I will always support keeping our ambulance service in the Fire Department.

When I got to the Emergency Room, I was given immediate treatment which gave some relief, and when stable, was sent to the Intensive Care Unit for two days and four more in Steele 1.

From the moment I arrived at AGH, I was treated by totally competent, caring and pleasant staff (I wanted to name them here, but feared omitting someone).
From the cleaning crew, which kept the room spotless, the food service people who fed me four-star meals, to the medical professionals, including inhalation therapists, technical aides, doctors, and, of course, the nurses who made sure I did what was ordered, each and every one of them made my stay as pleasant as possible under the circumstances.

Where we get such people I don't know, but I know we must never lose them.

Addison Gilbert is part of Gloucester, and part of Cape Ann, vital to all of us. Please support all efforts to keep them here.

Thank you to everyone at the Gloucester Fire Department and Addison Gilbert Hospital.

Poplar Street, Gloucester
The writer is an at-large member of the Gloucester City Council.

January 8, 2012: Lahey Deal Needs to be Contigent on "Guarantee" (Letter to the Editor, Gloucester Daily Times)

This is a copy of a letter I have sent to members of the board for the state Department of Public Health's Determination of Need.

I am writing on the proposed merger of Northeast Health Systems and Lahey Health Systems, Inc. transferring the ownership of Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester.

As I believe that the transfer perhaps may be beneficial to the residents of Cape Ann, I ask that the proposed transfer be contingent upon a binding guarantee that Addison Gilbert Hospital maintain the eight essential services as defined in the definition of Emergency Services in 105 CMR 130.020 and remain a community hospital under the new Lahey Health System.

I am asking for a binding guarantee to maintain the safety and well-being of Cape Ann's residents.

Addition Gilbert Hospital was founded in 1889 and is now 123 years old. It's a 58-bed medical/surgical acute care community hospital serving a population on Cape Ann including the city of Gloucester and the towns of Rockport, Manchester and Essex with a combined population of over 50,000 people and a large percentage of seniors. On an annual basis, there are over 14,000 visits made to Addison Gilbert's Emergency room.

The existence of the Addison Gilbert is imperative for several reasons.
  • Gloucester is unique in that it is an island connected by two bridges, and on occasion, both are not always available to travel.
  • Secondly, in an emergency, time is of essence. Traveling to the nearest facilities in Beverly, Salem or Danvers may be a matter of life and death.
  • Thirdly, the transporting of individuals will place an undue financial burden on the local communities providing ambulance services by the Fire Department's paramedic service.
  • Fourthly, Addison Gilbert is one of the largest employers on Cape Ann providing much needed jobs in today's economy.
  • Lastly, Addison Gilbert is the only source of primary care, cancer care and emergency care in the area.
I know firsthand as general manager of Cape Ann Transportation Authority that thousands of rides annually are provided to the elderly and disabled to get medical treatment at Addison Gilbert Hospital. I feel it's a fair statement to make that, if Addison Gilbert Hospital did not exist, under today's economic condition, many of these people would be left without transportation to destinations unknown.

In addition, it is important to note that Addition Gilbert Hospital is listed in the "Top 100 Hospitals" by Thomson and on a consistent basis ranks high in patient satisfaction surveys conducted by Press Ganey Associates.

In summary, I beseech you to condition the transfer on keeping Addition Gilbert Hospital a local community hospital that has survived and weathered the storms all these years due to the financial, moral and physical support of its citizens.

The people of Cape Ann in 1994 thought that merging Addison Gilbert Hospital with Beverly Hospital creating Northeast Health System to become bigger and stronger offering more services only turned out to be a grave mistake for Cape Ann residents. Addison Gilbert Hospital brought to the table a $36 million endowment, real estate (several homes) in addition to the hospital grounds and an art collection worth millions of dollars — all to be taken away along with the reduction of beds and many services once offered at the hospital.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Please make the merger contingent upon forever maintaining the emergency services as defined to providing immediate medical care in order to prevent loss of life or aggravation of physiological or psychological illness or injury for the residents of Cape Ann.

Blake Court, Gloucester

September 23, 2011 - It Takes a Community to Support a Hospital —
All Hands on Deck!

News report from Bruno, NE
In 1981, Herman Ostry and his wife, Donna, bought a farm a half mile outside ofBruno , Nebraska , a small community sixty miles west of Omaha . The property had a creek and came with a barn built in the 1920's. The barn floor was always wet and muddy.  When the creek flooded in 1988, the barn ended up with 29 inches of water covering the floor. That was the last straw. Ostry needed to move it to higher ground.

He contacted a building moving company and was discouraged by the bid. One night around the table, Ostry commented that if they had enough people they could pick the barn up and move it to higher ground. Everyone laughed. A few days later, Ostry's son Mike showed his father some calculations. He had counted the individual boards and timbers in the barn and estimated that the barn weighed approximately 16,640 pounds. He also estimated that a steel grid needed to move the barn would add another 3,150 pounds, bringing the total weight to just under 10 tons. He figured it would take around 350 people with each person lifting 56
lbs. to move the barn.

The town of Bruno , Nebraska was planning its centennial celebration in late July of 1988. Herman and Mike presented their barn moving idea to the committee. The committee decided to make it part of their celebration. So, on July 30, 1988, shortly before 11 a.m., a quick test lift was successfully made. Then, as local television cameras and 4,000 people from eleven states watched, 350 people moved the barn 115 feet south and 6 feet higher up a gentle slope and set it on its ne w foundation.
The reason most people think that something cannot be done is because they know that they can't do it by themselves. But impossible things can be done if we join together in the task. Working together, we can not only move barns, but change the world.


September 2, 2011

This video was produced by Partners for Addison Gilbert Hospital.

Donate Now!